We’ve tried to keep it as simple as possible, but if you’re not familiar with terms, such as cookies, IP addresses, pixel tags and browsers, then read about these key terms first (from Google).
Information you give us
In using Mapov you will make use of a number of filters that determine the map selection, dates, rooms required etc. We store this information so we understand what is important to our users, and determine what new features might help our users find the right accommodation.
Information we collect
In addition to data you directly give us, we also collect information concerning your browsing trends and set up. Such data may include your language preferences, screen size, browser version, IP address, location and whether you are on a mobile, tablet or desktop device. In addition we will collect information on which properties you click out of Mapov on and whether you subsequently make a booking. All this data is completely anonymous but as we aggregate this data from hundreds of users we can make develop features that make the site better and better.
How we use the information
Local storage: Sometimes to improve performance we may use mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5) and application data caches.
Cookies and anonymous identifiers: We use various technologies to collect and store information when you visit Mapov, which may include one or more cookies or anonymous identifiers sent to your device. We use information collected from cookies and other technologies, like pixel tags, to understand the performance of the site and improve your user experience and the overall quality of our service.
Information that we share: We may share aggregated, non-personally identifiable information publicly and with our partners, such as publishers, advertisers or connected sites. For example, we may share information publicly to show trends about the general use of our services. If Mapov is involved in a merger, acquisition or asset sale, we will continue to ensure the confidentiality of the information we store and give notice of any revised privacy policies.
Information security: We work hard to protect Mapov and our users from unauthorised access to or unauthorised alteration, disclosure or destruction of information that we hold. In particular;
- We review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorised access to systems.
- We restrict access to information to Mapov employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to process it for us and who are subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations. They may be disciplined or their contract terminated if they fail to meet these obligations.
In developing the Mapov site we have merged content from many sources, for example we obtain:
- Hotel content (e.g. names, locations, prices, photos & amenities) from our partners like Expedia, Booking.com and others,
- Reviews from TripAdvisor, and
- Mapping content from Google Maps.
Whilst we try to ensure the accuracy of our content as well as possible, we cannot be held responsibility for inaccuracies. Having clicked the ‘book it’ button on Mapov’s site and moved on to one of our partners’ sites we strongly recommend confirming the particular accommodation and price are as expected before booking.
There are some particular elements of our content that are worth highlighting to you:
- Maps - Our mapping content is delivered by Google Maps whose terms of service can be found here: http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/help/terms_maps.html
- Hotel locations - The placement of markers on the map is aided by our accommodation partners and should be verified on the partner’s site before booking.
- Displayed price - Mapov aims to show the total price for the entire stay including taxes and fees. In some cases, whether that be from particular partners or in particular countries extra fees may be added at the time of booking or at the accommodation. The site upon which you make the booking should make this clear to you.
- Currencies - Sometimes either Mapov or our partners will be carrying out currency conversion so the results on Mapov are consistent with each other and in your preferred currency. It may not be possible to book the accommodation in that currency, and there may be differences in the displayed price and actual price due to differences in conversion rates used.
- Pre-pay / post-pay - Some of our accommodation providers require payment upfront at time of booking and others require payment at the accommodation during your stay. Each partner will make this clear at the time of booking.
- Caching - All prices are obtained from our accommodation providers in real time. However to improve performance Mapov stores the results of these queries and reuses them for other users that make the same request shortly after. For the vast majority this leads to significantly faster browsing but, on occasion, we will show availability for a property that has since sold out or seen a price change.
We are always looking to improve the accuracy of our content and welcome the input of our users to help us do that please contact us